25 Days of Christmas Community- Day 7- Elena



Meet Elena

Instagram: @elenaeedg



1. Tell us a little about yourself!

My name is Elena and I am born and raised in the north of Bavaria, Germany. My favorite thing to do is traveling. Not just because of explore new places and check off my bucketlist. I love to travel because of get to know other cultures, other people (and food). Also I like to take pictures and edit them (this is a part of my job as a designer anyway). Years ago I started an instagram account based on those hobbies. For a super curious girl like me connecting with new people from all around the globe is everything. Thanks to social media it is possible to do that every single day. So I would say instagram is more and more a hobby of mine, too. This year's Christmas is going to be my 21th.


2. What are your favorite Christmas traditions?



We have many Christmas traditions in Germany. A lot of them even already start in November, because we have to prepare for the time before the main Christmas celebrations. That time reaches from the first to 24th of December and is called Advent. As a child this was the most beautiful and exciting time of the year. That had multiple reasons:

In mainly the south of our country, children write to the ‚Christkind' asking for presents. We left the letters on the windowsill at the beginning of or during Advent. 'Christkind' translates as 'The Christ Child' in English, but we don't think of the Christkind as the baby Jesus! The Christkind is often described as a young girl with 'Christ like' qualities.
You might also write a letter to Weihnachtsmann in other parts of Germany. Some people say that Father Christmas (Weihnachtsmann) and some say it is Christkind who brings the presents on the 24th. For me and my little sister it was Christkind bringing them.
As well as hoping for presents from Christkind or Weihnachtsmann, we also hoped that 'der Nikolaus' will bring you some small gifts, such as nuts and chocolate on the 6th December (St Nicholas's Day). He comes in the night between the 5th and the 6th and puts the presents into your shoes, which are placed by the door. He might also knock on the door and the children will have to sing a song, play a song on an instrument or tell a story to „Nikolaus“ before he gives them their presents.
Also there are a ton of different types of Advent calendars. As well as the traditional one made of card that are used in many countries, there are DIY ones with 24 decorated boxes or bags hanging from it. Each box or bag has a little present or sweets in it.
Another type is called a 'Adventskranz' and is a ring of fir branches that has four candles on it. One candle is lit at the beginning of each week in Advent.
Of course a visit of the well known Christmas Markets where all sorts of Christmas foods and decorations are sold, is essential in Advent. People from all over the world come to visit them and one of the most famous, in Nuremberg, is not that far away of my hometown.
Another Christmas Must-Have are “Plätzchen” (Christmas cookies). People are actually taking days off from work to bake them. There are millions of recipes and a variety of types! Famous ones are “Lebkuchen” (a traditional Christmas treat, resembling gingerbread), “Stollen” (a popular fruited yeast bread), “Dominosteine” or “Speculatius”.
Keep in mind that if you want to impress your friends, you should minimum make 10 different types of them and don’t forget that people would talk about your failed “Lebkuchen” for years.
There are much more traditions but i think that would be to much right now!


3. What does Christmas mean to you?



I don’t write letters to the Christkind and there is no Nikolaus knocking on my door anymore. While growing up the Christmas magic fades and other things like work and stress are dominating the holidays. Moments of peace and calmness are rare. My advice for this christmas season is to remember and create wonderful moments together. I look forward to come together with my family, best and long unseen friends. 

We should all take our time and remember those happy childhood memories. For example, when the whole family was united and excited to light the first candle on the “Adventskranz” and the first snow was falling. How the grandparents enjoyed to see their presents getting unwrapped by their happy grandchilds or yourself being nervous before the “Krippenspiel” (nativity play) in the church.


4. If you could share a single piece of advice with everyone this Christmas season, what would it be?


Remember that presents, snow and fairy lights should not matter that much. Keep in mind that there are thousands out there who aren’t able to celebrate the holidays in the same way.

Last year I was shopping and about to spend my money on a present for my selfish self. Then a disabled young man was crossing my way. He asked for money to support an aid organization. I decided to give him the money for my present and I am sure that it is spent in a better way now.

Hopefully I will see him this time again…















No comments